WHY ELIVE WAS MADE?
The reasons of the Elive existence
WHAT ALREADY EXIST IS NOT GOOD
No matter how new is your computer, in less than 3 years you will probably need to buy a new one. In the middle of an important work it can block, probably destroy your precious information, and from time to time you need to reinstall the entire system. At the end you have a mountain of frustration, that makes you hate computers, technology, the invention of fire, and the entire earth itself.
These things are simply unacceptable for us, so we decided to create an entire and better system for you, giving you an enjoyable experience.
READY TO USE & EASY
Most of the systems doesn’t come with the basic needs covered, and so you need to lose your time researching good applications that fits your needs. While other systems are not “ready” to be used, Elive comes with all that you may need and everything is working out of the box. Elive is simply a ready to use system.
We are passionate about designing the best interactive and usable interfaces that even our parents could use with ease. Things are reachable without need to dig in thousands of options to reach the one that you are searching for. It is easy for us to understand what you expect from your computer.
YOU HAVE THE POWER
We hate limitations, why we should not allow you to do anything that you want? Personalization and possibilities are a must to have!
You can not only personalize the system with the look that you want to have, but you can also change entirely its behaviour, you have thousands of options to play with and you can build your own ones, the limits are simply in your imagination.
Is your imagination enough big to imagine the infinite?
We enjoy making Elive, and because things made by pleasure are better than the ones made by an external incentive. Elive has not planned obsolescence, we want to made it good, not to sell it. One example is that you will never found ads in Elive, your life is much more important than for lose your time annoyed by publicity.
We are complainers, not conformists, we are not obedient, we don’t accept the unacceptable, we do what we want to do, we break the rules, the future has freedom and quality, did you want to walk it with us?
Elive provides a dynamic and clean interface without saturating the look. Nothing in the desktop is static. Simplicity and intuitive is one of its best points.
The menu is reachable from any point of the desktop instead of being in a single place, icons grows when you pass over them, you have a pager where you can have your windows better organized than in the classic minimized way, you can customize it to look at any imaginable way.
Elive provides animated elements like backgrounds, icons, widgets, and even the terminal, in Elive your desktop can have 3D effects without need of an accelerated graphic card, and the best, it also can work in your oldest computer, how much systems can do all that?
Elive is not made for newbies. Elive is not made for experienced people. Elive is not made for enterprises or personal user. Elive is art. It is simply for the people who appreciate it and want to use it. Feel free to try Elive, because only you decide what you want in this world!
FOR NOVICE OR ADVANCED PEOPLE?
Elive brings both simplicity and powerful tools, coexisting together without affecting the usability
THOUSANDS OF FEATURES !
Elive has a so huge amount of features that is impossible to list all of them, but there is a small list of some nice ones that could give you an overview of how nice it is.
- Automated detection of language and timezone, based on your ip
- Drivers compatibility, most probably your hardware will work out of the box
- Wide range of Wireless devices supported
- Pager, a better way to organize your workplace
- All the applications that you may need already included
- Multiple audio cards supported at the same time, allowing you to use microphone or speakers from separately
- Virtual Machines, where you can run Windows or Mac systems
- Useful for Kids to learn, and daily usable for parents
- Flexible options, configure it as you want, change the entire behaviour or even create your owns.
- Applications Bar, put on it your favorite applications
And MUCH More...
- Automatic launchers and mounts actions
- Automated set of clock when you change to another country
- Automate tasks that you found repetitive.
- Share folders and access to remote ones
- Convert Audio’s and Images massively just selecting them
- Nurse mode: a full suite of health tests and reparation system
- Fonts and Brushes sets included by default
- 101% customizable desktop and everything
- Complete Media-Center (xbmc)
- Overall compatibility and integration between applications
- Games & Game Emulators
- Intuitive way of work, drag-n-drop anything anywhere
- Hotkeys: we have hotkeys for anything, use them and you will work much faster
Install other Operating Systems
3D Graphic card is not required
Connect to Internet using your Mobile Phone
- It remembers your settings and provider for connect the next time, added in a new submenu
- set it to automatically connect to internet at the startup, very useful if you live somewhere where your only possibility to connect to internet is using your phone, or if you travel by some days
- connect or disconnect in a single click
USB creator of Elive bootable sticks
Friendly Admin Mode
- Open a terminal
- Type “su” and put your root password
- run “cd /etc” in order to go to the configurations directory
- edit the file fstab, for that:
- run “vim fstab”
- type “i” and then…
- wrong idea, exit, with :q!
- use nano instead
- Open your File Manager, where your files are
- Right click and select Admin Mode
- You have a new window opened, run by your admin (root), where you can browse and go to anywhere of your system easily, and you can edit files without worry about which application to use, because a simple right-click on the selected file will do all the job, visually
- What more friendly way you can found than that?
- Recover Configurations: You can recover any “Elive default” configurations, like your desktop settings
- Hardware Tests to verify that your computer is working without problems
- Packages: check if your system contains all the packages included by default with Elive, if not, you may miss any feature
- Free Space on the disk
- Kernel: Install newer kernels or also with special support like more than 4gb of ram
- Much more…
Installer Unique Features
- Upgrade mode: instead of reinstall Elive
- Migrate mode: if you try to install over common OS’s like ubuntu or debian, it allows you to save your users, files, passwords, and everything, like a conversion of OS
- No media needed: do you want to reinstall Elive but you don’t want to use a cdrom or USB? you can boot the live mode directly from your hard disk in an automated way and install it without problems
- Much more…
OSS (audio) Compatibility
- A satisfying Color scheme
- When you connect via SSH, your prompt changes to a unique-color set to the name of the host where you are connected, on that way you will never run any command in the wrong terminal
- When you are working as root, the username is set to red
- Switched to zsh by default
- Much nicer color scheme (candy!)
- Git powered prompt (and other good amount of zsh features)
- 256 colors enabled terminal
- aliases for common apt-get commands
Powerful CLI (shell) tools by Elive!
- bkp: the most useful tool that you may have never seen! It makes you incremental snapshots of the directory where you are actually, persistent after reboots and without matter what contents you have on it, it is even compatible if you are in a git repository, saving incremental backup points from any required moment where you can go back to any previous saved, do you want to play something dangerous in your git source code? just run “bkp save” before to do it and you will have a free assurance gift. Do you want to compile something but you know that will put a lot of trash files on your source code directory? just go back to the state previously to the compilation. But you have much more features too:
- bkp save: it saves a snapshot of your directory, incremental
- bkp restore: it restores any state from any point, and go back to the last one too
- bkp meld: amazing feature for do a visual comparison between the previous saved state and the actual one
- bkp meld 5: same, but since the fifth previous state
- bkp diff: generates a perfectly compatible diff from different states, if you dump it to a file you have a patch
- bkp purge: it removes all your saved states history
- bkp work: a different way to use it, it does a clone of your actual directory in a temporal place so that you can do anything on it, you can later compare the result for if you want to import anything made
- pandoc-from-web-to-misc: generate ebooks and pdf’s from any website link, the results are amazing!
- psort: ever wanted a command that does a sort but giving to it a priority list of matches?
- procrastination-erradicator: do you have hard to start focusing in your work? try it
- elivepaste: a handy and more automated way to use pastebin websites
- setvolume: a command to change the volume of your computer dynamically, use it with any of your commands
- precache: use it with songs or videos for previously cache them, but also with applications for faster run them
- waitfor: do you want to run something but only after another thing has finished? simple: waitfor compile-script.sh && scp compiled-result user@myserver:
- count-mb-network: a simple way to count your transfer bandwith used in your shell
- Sometimes we got enlightened, and we make a new tool
Console Editor (VIM)
- An own colorscheme, using specific colors for be useful more than beautiful
- Ctags for EFL libs
- Edje syntax
- Ships with Bundle by default
- Already Installed must-to-have and well beta-tested plugins
- Much more, see your .vimrc file !
Enlightenment / E17 Improvings
- Focus Remembers: multiple features for a better remember of the focus of your window, for example when you come back from another desktop or a delay for add it to the remember list after to have passed a minimum amount of time on it
- Window limits: We found that some users had difficult to move their windows if they allows to be out of the screen, so we designed a much better and smarter management of the limits of the windows inside the screen with different options
- Night Mode: This feature inverts the colors of your monitor, perfect for read things at night or to not have a tired vision
- Sleep Mode: This feature allows you to put your computer to sleep, suspend or hibernation, after some time has passed or at a specific hour, you can configure it to be on that way each day, perfect for go to sleep listening music or leave the computer to finish some tasks before to shutdown