Elive 1.8.8 beta released
September 11, 2008
The Elive Team is proud to announce the release of beta version 1.8.8
This version of Elive solves 2 important problems found in the last versions: e17 has fixed a very annoying mouse bug (more exactly with the focus) and it is now possible to configure the network again (for now, we use network-manager instead of exalt, but only use dhcp and not static mode).
This version includes some misc features like:
- Boot options: Feature added: changedevice: it allow you to change the device in the boot process. Imagine that you want to boot from an USB stick but your computer doesn’t boot from USB sticks, or you have problem in the middle of the boot of Elive using CD’s, with this feature you can boot from the CD and before the init process starts, you can eject the CD and insert a USB containing Elive to continue the boot process.
- Hotkeys: Mute key working now
- E17: Updated to the last version of the SVN, now some modules like battery, temperature, cpufrequency.. are enabled only if your hardware supports it, if not, they don’t appear on your desktop.
- File Manager Previews: Now Thunar can preview XCF (gimp native format) images, and Nintendo-DS roms
- Automounters: This is a very requested-to-fix feature, you can now umount and mount devices without problems from thunar while the autolaunchers system of Elive is still working. If you have any problem with them now, like no-permissions, you should report the bug immediately.
- Kernel / Drivers:
- Kernel: Updated to version 22.214.171.124
- Machines: Special suppport for MSI WIND laptops
- Misc Hardware: Improved support during boot process to detect special hardware/machines, if you couldn’t boot Elive in one of your machines, you should try this version.
We appreciate your feedbacks about the overall speed/lightness of the system compared to last stable version of Elive. You can say something in our chat channel directly from the running system. If you detect any lagging in the system please consider different setups like disabling composite (which you can select on the startup of the graphical system) in order to report improvements. We would also appreciate feedbacks about composite enabled or disabled in old computers, suggestions for better performances, and memory usage compared to Topaz.
Note that these development releases don’t include the Elive Installer yet because it’s not ready, we also didn’t include the proprietary drivers for now (Nvidia/fglrx) but the opensource drivers should detect your hardware and configure your system perfectly.
You can Download this version at the development section.
Please remember that this is an alpha version of Elive which is uncomplete and may have errors, if you want to see a polished result of Elive try the Stable version instead.
Give us a comment in our chat channel, you can also improve Elive by yourself in github.
Help us to make Elive even better!
“Dream your life.
Elive your dream”