Elive Stable 2.0 Topaz released
The Elive Team is proud to announce the release of the Stable version 2.0 Codename Topaz.
After a long and intensive development we can now enjoy the results!
The New Stable version of Elive has a huge list of improvements. Its ease of use makes it suitable for any kind of user along with a totally new Linux experience for those who have not tried Elive before.
We offer an absolutely different way to use an operating system where the logic and the intuitiveness are first class.
Along with being simplistic, ergonomic and powerful, Topaz will bring your computer to a completely new level making Elive a system not only good for the inexperienced user but also for the professional or advanced one.
Topaz is packed with tips and handy apps that helps the end user in swiftly doing what they want, when they want. Working fast is one of the main goals of Elive and an active users community is there to help you.
With e17 it’s easy to create your own look and fully customize your system as you like!
Try it and adopt a new userfriendly revelation !!
Changelog since the last Stable:
[list style=”check” color=”blue-lite”]
- Autolaunchers: Entirely rewritten with better stability and more features
- User Configurators: A lot of user configurators added to configure anything, like touchpad, FIXME
- Drivers: Kernel 18.104.22.168 with support of special hardware and other features like tuxonice (hibernation), reiser4, ext4 and many more
- Compiz !: If you want to use the Compiz features (ecomorph) you can do it directly on the fly without the need of a special version of Elive, on the other hand, we recommend to use it only as a demo since it makes your system unstable. If you are a C coder and have some knowledge of the X libs, you are welcome to help this project and fix the minor bugs.
- 3G Phones supported with 364 providers available for any country
- Look: Some things of the look are now even better than before
- Elpanel: Removed and moved everything to a more standard and unique place for the configurations
- Bluetooth supported
- Trayer included
- Shared Folders also know as samba it is directly suported in Elive in a very easy to use way, thanks to LinuxNIT for these nice applications, along with others!
- USB bootable: Create your own bootable USB sticks !
- OSS compatibility for games and strange applications that do not support alsa
- Entrance Autologin supported
- Broadcom 43xx works now with 2 different optional drivers
- Ssh: Some handy features for ssh like special prompt coloring when you are in an ssh session as to not confuse your login. You can directly access enlightenment_remote features or run things on the graphical system without the need to set special variables
- Audio Configurator: If you have more than one audio card, you can select the right one at any moment! This feature is very useful for me when I’m working on the night and I need to switch to the card that is set to my headphones. You can also play with Elive multiple audio sources without problems.
- Special Kernels: You can install on your installed Elive system special kernels that, for example, include support for more than 4 GB of ram without the need of a 64 bit-OS, (in the nurse special mode)
- Translations: Elive now supports more languages, by default they are automatically translated but you are welcome to collaborate with these translations by using Eltrans.
- User-Friendly: Never has an operating system that was this easy and userfriendly to use as Elive 2.0 The list is huge and the goal is that even senior people can use Elive 2.0 without problems. Some examples are:
- Convert: Convert files in MP3 by just selecting them in your filemanager, you can also do the same thing with the resolution of the images
- Search tool
- Screenshot tool
- Disk Usage tool
- Admin mode: If you don’t know how to admin your system, you can be admin from your thunar and manage any file or configuration of your system
- Nurse: The nurse mode is a special Recovery / Repair mode full of features so that everybody can recover, fix, and repair his Elive system, for example:
- Recover Configurations: You can recover any “Elive default” configurations, like your desktop settings
- Hardware Tests to verify that your computer is working without problems
- Packages: check if your system contains all the packages included by default with Elive, if not, you may miss some feature
- Free Space on the disk
- Kernel: Install newer kernels or also with special support like more than 4gb of ram
- Installer: The installer includes a lot of features like:
- Upgrade mode: Do not perform a new install, just do an upgrade of your old Elive system, so that you still maintain your users, files, and everything… remember that everybody should periodically do a system backup
- Migrate: Migrate any Linux system to an Elive system, this includes to saving users, files, passwords, and some configurations
- Filesystems: Special filesystems such as EXT4 and Reiser4 are now supported directly by the installer. Reiser4 includes compression support that will boost your machine twice as fast compared to EXT3
- Reinstall: You don’t need to burn CD’s anymore. As of this version, if you want to reinstall Elive again you have a feature in your menue that does it without the need of CD’s