Elive 1.8.2 beta released
The Elive Team is proud to announce
the release of beta version 1.8.2
This version includes some misc features like:
- Installer available in this version! Ready to install Elive on your hard disk. Note: This installer is under development and not finished, The upgrade feature that allows your old Elive system to be updated to current instead of a fresh installs, is not implemented yet!
- Firefox 3: This version of Elive includes Firefox 3 (Iceweasel), that has many new and nice features, is more user friendly and useful, better looking, and apparently faster. The Elive Bookmarks are updated too with new and better ones!
- Kernel: The version of kernel 126.96.36.199 is updated with a better configuration for IDE/SATA/SCSI chipsets, so it should work on more computers, but if this is NOT the case for you (that your hard disk or cdrom media, can not boot it or are not recognized anymore), please report ASAP to the Elive channel.
- Madwifi: driver updated with new hal version, that means basically, newest (atheros) cards are supported now, like the EeeePC’s model.
- Hibernation: Some changes to the hibernation method, it should work on more computers and in a better way now.
- Autoeject: Elive has implemented a autoeject system without umount being needed a while ago. This feature has not worked properly but now the eject button is detected and managed entirely by hal, that is the correct way to do it.
- QT/KDE: Some users have wanted to install some qt/kde applications, now you can install them in Elive for a more integrated look with the rest of applications!
- Resolutions selector: Small bug fixed (boot resolutions selector).
- Console keymap: Fixed, now in the installed mode you can have your chosen keyboard keymap in console mode (non-X mode)
- readahead implemented
- Skype: Moved to the static version. Because there are no sources, it is not possible to compile with the correct libraries. The static version is larger in size but fixes bugs in the interface like widgets and buttons
And the best is yet to come!
We appreciate your feedbacks about the overall speed/lightness of the system compared to last stable version of Elive. You can say something in our chat channel directly from the running system. If you detect any lagging in the system please consider different setups like disabling composite (which you can select on the startup of the graphical system) in order to report improvements. We would also appreciate feedbacks about composite enabled or disabled in old computers, suggestions for better performances, and memory usage compared to Topaz.
Note that these development releases don’t include the Elive Installer yet because it’s not ready, we also didn’t include the proprietary drivers for now (Nvidia/fglrx) but the opensource drivers should detect your hardware and configure your system perfectly.
You can Download this version at the development section.
Please remember that this is an alpha version of Elive which is uncomplete and may have errors, if you want to see a polished result of Elive try the Stable version instead.
Give us a comment in our chat channel, you can also improve Elive by yourself in github.
Help us to make Elive even better!
“Dream your life.
Elive your dream”